Before Entering Canada

Find out what document you need to travel, visit, do business, or transit through Canada. Most people need a visa OR an Electronic Travel Authorization to travel to Canada – not both. Some people may only need their valid passport.

Complete the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) before your trip to Vancouver.

New entry requirement now in effect: visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA. Apply for an eTA before you book your flight to Canada. Most applicants get approved within minutes. However, some applications can take several days to process so don’t wait until the last minute.

  • ALL ATTENDEES: Visit the Government of Canada’s official website to see if you need to apply for an eTA to fly to, or transit through, a Canadian airport. If needed, an eTA costs $7 CAD.

Open ETA Information & begin


More information

  • Visit Canada: Find out what you need to enter the country (Government of Canada)
  • Travel documents and identification requirements (Government of Canada)