Find out what document you need to travel, visit, do business, or transit through Canada. Most people need a visa OR an Electronic Travel Authorization to travel to Canada – not both. Some people may only need their valid passport.
Complete the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) before your trip to Vancouver.
New entry requirement now in effect: visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA. Apply for an eTA before you book your flight to Canada. Most applicants get approved within minutes. However, some applications can take several days to process so don’t wait until the last minute.
- ALL ATTENDEES: Visit the Government of Canada’s official website to see if you need to apply for an eTA to fly to, or transit through, a Canadian airport. If needed, an eTA costs $7 CAD.
- Reasons an ETA may be denied include a prior felony charge or DUI charge. For additional assistance with an ETA denial and completing an additional form to enter Canada, please contact World Sleep Society at firstname.lastname@example.org. Read more about who is inadmissible (Canadian Government).
- Find out if you need a visa (Government of Canada)
- If a visa is needed, contact World Sleep Society at email@example.com
- Visit Canada: Find out what you need to enter the country (Government of Canada)
- Travel documents and identification requirements (Government of Canada)
A visitor visa
- an official document stamped in your passport
- costs $100 CAN
You must send certain documents with your application:
- a letter of invitation from your potential business partner in Canada
- 24-hour contact details for that person
You may also need identification cards or proof that you have a job. Processing times vary by country. Apply for a visitor visa (Canadian Government).
The following travelers need a visa to come to Canada by any method of travel – plane, car, bus, train, or cruise ship. Please apply at least 3-months prior to World Sleep 2019 to ensure time for processing.
Antigua and Barbuda
Brazil (note: some Brazilian citizens may be eligible for an eTA if they meet certain requirements)
British subjects, subject to control
Cameroon, Republic of
Central African Republic
China, People’s Republic of
Congo, Democratic Republic of
Congo, Republic of
Costa Rica, Republic of
Israel, must have a valid Israeli “Travel Document in lieu of National Passport”
Macao Special Administrative Region
Micronesia, Fed. States
Romania (holder of a non-electronic passport, such as a temporary passport)
Sao Tomé e Principe
Saudi Arabia, Kingdom of
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Vincent and the Grenadines (St. Vincent)
Taiwan, must have a passports other than ordinary passports issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that include their personal identification number
Trinidad and Tobago